Cleveland Cavaliers NBA 2020 Lottery Draft
August 18, 2020
Cavaliers Legend and five-time NBA All-Star Brad Daugherty will represent the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2020 NBA Draft Lottery, which will be held virtually on Thursday, August 20, airing live on ESPN beginning at 8:30 PM ET.
Daugherty was selected first overall by the Cavaliers in the 1986 NBA Draft and spent his entire eight-year career with Cleveland, earning First Team All-Rookie honors in 1987 and a Third Team All-NBA nod in 1992 in addition to his five All-Star selections (1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993). He remains among the franchise’s all-time top 10 in multiple statistical categories and his jersey number 43 was retired by the Cavaliers on March 1, 1997. Daugherty appeared as a guest analyst on FOX Sports Ohio’s Cavs broadcasts during the 2019-20 season as part of the Cavaliers’ 50th season celebration.
• NBA Draft Lottery 2020 presented by State Farm will be held on Thursday, August 20 and air live on
ESPN at 8:30 p.m. ET.
• The Cavs currently have one pick in the 2020 NBA Draft, which will be held virtually on October 16.
• The Cavaliers finished the 2019-20 season with a 19-46 record, putting them in the second-place
position entering the 2020 Draft Lottery. The Cavaliers enter the lottery with the second-best odds and
can land no lower than the 6th pick.
• Under the new NBA Draft Lottery system that began last year, the odds at the top of the lottery have
been leveled so that the three teams with the lowest regular-season winning percentages (Golden State,
Cleveland and Minnesota) each have a 14 percent chance of receiving the No. 1 overall pick. The odds
for the remaining participants in the 14-team lottery reduce gradually after the top three.
• Drawings will be conducted at NBA Draft Lottery 2020 presented by State Farm to determine the first
four picks in NBA Draft 2020 presented by State Farm. The remainder of the “lottery teams” will select in
positions 5 through 14 in inverse order of their 2019-20 regular-season records.
• The Cavs will be represented in the lottery by Cavaliers Legend and five-time NBA All-Star Brad
Daugherty, who was selected by the Cavaliers with the first overall pick in the 1986 NBA Draft and
played his entire eight-year career with Cleveland.
• The Cavaliers have won the NBA Draft Lottery five times since the lottery format was introduced in 1985
(Brad Daugherty, 1986; LeBron James, 2003; Kyrie Irving, 2011; Anthony Bennett, 2013; Andrew
Wiggins, 2014). Overall, Cleveland has held the #1 overall draft pick six times (Carr, 1971).
• The Cavs’ 2020 lottery pick will mark the 21st overall pick the Cavs have owned in lottery history, and the
20th overall selection (the Cavs traded their 2005 pick).